The Smiths

Monday, November 2, 2009

Baby Senya is Here!!!!

My baby Senya is finally here!!! At 4 in the morning on Wednesday, October 28th, I woke Cody up and told him I was having regular contractions. They weren't painful but they were regular and that's the same way I was when Asher was born so we started getting ready to head to the hospital. We woke up cute little Ash Ash and dropped him off at my mom and dad's. Mom and Denice gave me a kiss and a hug and we were off to LDS Hospital!

We arrived at LDS Hospital around 6 in the morning. I walked up to the labor & delivery desk and casually told them I was in labor. They put us in a room and strapped external monitors to my belly. I was showing contractions about every 3 minutes but they still weren't painful at all. The nurse then checked me and found I was dilated to a 4 so they called my dr. They decided that even though I wasn't in any sort of pain and the contractions were starting to taper off, they were going to admit me since I was so far effaced and dilated.

Cody and I were sitting in the room just talking and I commented on how my contractions were still not painful but really long. Just then, the nurses came busting through the door and they were yelling, "Call Dr. Cannon, Call Dr. Cannon....Get so and so in here now". They put me on my side and said the baby wasn't handling the contractions well. Her heartbeat had dropped significantly and it wasn't going back up. I started crying and they put me on oxygen to get it to the baby. After putting me to one side without success and moving me to the other side, they were able to get her heartbeat to go back up.

Since the baby wasn't handling the contractions well, Dr. Cannon came in at 8:30 to break my water and get things moving along. After she broke my water, my contractions pretty much stopped and nothing was happening. I'm not supposed to have induced labor when doing a VBAC but they needed to get the baby out so they decided to start me on a very low dose of pit. As soon as I started having contractions, they were long again and the baby's heartbeat dropped once again so they had to take me off of the pit.

Around 3:00 in the afternoon, the nurse came to tell me they were going to call Dr. Cannon again and see what she wanted to do because I wasn't having regular contractions and the contractions I was having were way too soft. They wanted the strength to be at least 180-200 mvu's and I was only around 60 with each contraction. She said there was no reason to check me because those types of contractions wouldn't be doing anything. After calling Dr. Cannon, she said they were going to check me after all before deciding what to do next. After checking me, she said, "Umm....You're fully effaced and dilated to an 8. I'm going to call the doctor again".

It turns out I'm one of those medical mysteries they can't explain. Without having any painful contractions or even regular contractions since 6 that morning, I had somehow almost fully dilated. The nurses said they'd never seen this before. I thought, "I've seen this before - with my first baby"! No one believed I was in labor that time either.

Around 4:00 pm, I started having painful contractions and Cody was having to help me breath through them. The nurse came in and I told her I could feel something between my legs. She checked me and was surprised to find I was dilated to a 10 and she could see the head. She told me to literally close my legs and try to keep the baby in.

They had me start pushing as soon as Dr. Cannon walked in the door. After about 45 minutes of pushing, baby Senya was born at 6:02 pm! When her head came out, I yelled, "She looks just like Asher"!!!

She weighed in at 8 lbs even and was 21 1/2 inches long. She was a chubber bubbers! She hardly cried and just wanted to be cuddled.

It's crazy to think that if I'd ignored the non-painful contractions and just gone to work, I would've started having painful contractions at 4:00 and would've already had a head between my legs! That mother's instinct is a powerful thing.

Baby Senya is absolutely beautiful. The dr's unfortunately have her in lock down for the first 60 days of her life because of all the illnesses going around. Lots of infants have had pneumonia, meningitis, etc., so they don't want her around anyone 14 and under for the first 60 days. We're not allowed to go to any family gatherings and we have to be really careful with Asher around the baby. If she gets cold-like symptoms in the first 60 days, they'll have to do a spinal tap to confirm it's only a cold so we're doing everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen.

Thank you to everyone that came to visit at the hospital. We love you all so much and can't wait for Senya to be strong enough to see you all!!!

(I'll have lots of pictures of this event up soon. My next post will be pictures, pictures, and more pictures)!!!

4 comments:

Tiffany&3 said...

I'll keep fingers and toes crossed that she won't get sick!!! But don't be too upset if she does...Sophia had two spinal's in the NICU, they gave her some sugar water on her pacifier and she didn't even cry! She's absolutely beautiful Meg, we can't wait to meet her!

Melinda said...

I can't wait to meet her! I need to make a trip to UT to see your whole little family and get my Asher fix (if he still remembers me!). Love you lots!

Handley Family said...

Congratlations, Megan!! I'm so glad everything went well. We are so excited that baby Senya is here and can't wait to meet her.

Denice said...

You are amazing Meg and I am so glad she is here!! Love you!