As you all know, I love my dogs more than anything (almost anything) and I treat them with the same love and attention that I give Asher. I feel guilty for not being able to care for all the animals that need a loving home.
Many animals never find a loving home and they're put to sleep. When I found out a local animal shelter was installing a gas chamber to euthanize the animals, I contacted city officials to see why they chose a gas chamber over lethal injections of sodium pentobarbital.
After listening to my concerns, the mayor visited a local animal shelter to witness euthanasia by both CO chamber and lethal injection. After watching 1 cat be poisoned to death in a CO chamber and 3 cats and 3 dogs euthanized by lethal injection, he admitted he wished both methods of euthanasia could be deemed unnecessary. While he didn't see any obvious signs of pain from the cat in the CO chamber, he did witness problems with the lethal injections. I won't go into detail with what he reported back to me other than to say I'm glad I wasn't there myself. But on the other hand, I wish I could've been there to love and support the animals.
I appreciate the mayor for listening to my concerns, acting on them, and reporting back to me with his decision. I just wish none of this was necessary.


2 comments:
I'm glad you ended up getting more of a response from the mayor than the initial mass e-mail. I too wish something could be done and more pet owners were responsible and get their pets fixed. It really is heart breaking and I don't even want to know what the specific problems were...I don't need that heart break!
That is great that the mayor responded to your concerns Meg! That is such a heartbreaking story though :( I am glad you were not there to see the poor animals suffer in any ways that they did. I agree with Denice, pet owners need to be more responsible with their pets..and every animal deserves a second chance at having a good life. I don't agree with the gas chamber at all..it does not seem humane at all..it seems like torture and I do not agree with it. I really want to protest against the one that is being put in the new West Valley shelter thats being built..
Post a Comment