The Smiths

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Croup


As many of you heard, Asher was in the hospital last night with the croup. Mom and Dad told me he was having a hard time breathing so Cody and I left work early to take him to the E.R. We got to Primary Children's shortly after 6:00 and didn't know at the time that he had the croup. Once he was diagnosed with the croup, the doctors decided to give him an oral steroid to help with his breathing. He took the steroid and then threw it up ALL OVER Cody. The steroid came up with the dark juice he'd been drinking earlier so Cody looked like he'd been in a murder scene. Since the oral steroid didn't work, they had to inject Asher with the same medicine. They also gave him a breathing treatment to help with the swelling in his throat and upper respiratory tract. He was struggling SO HARD to breathe.


We had to wait 3 hours to see if the two treatments would open up his airways again so the hospital was kind enough to find Cody a new shirt to wear. Asher responded well to the treatment at first but after waiting about 2 hours, he was back to having the same breathing problems again. The doctors said he couldn't go home in the condition he was in so they prepared an overnight room for us (this happened around midnight). Poor little Asher was terrified of everyone at the hospital and cried every time they came near him. He was just so tired and they kept waking him up every hour to check his vitals and give him medicine.


He slept in a huge crib that looked more like a cage and he had an oxygen thingy attached to his toe. No matter how much they tried taping it to his little toe, it would come off every hour of the night and the machine would start beeping. Asher had additional steroid and breathing treatments that night and was eventually released around 11:00 the next morning.


The hospital room only had one "bed" in it so Cody and I squeezed our hardest to fit in it at the same time. We're pretty sure it was only 2 feet wide. Cody was pressed right against the wall and my belly was hanging off the side of the "bed". We are soooo sore.


We're just so happy that little Ash Ash can breathe again. He hasn't thrown up since yesterday and although he's still not eating, he is drinking. He's still not himself but he's happy to be out of the evil hospital.


I'm extremely tired from working late tonight and I'll have to go to work early in the morning to make my deadlines. So I'm off to get in the shower and prepare my clothes for the morning and I'm leaving you with a picture of Asher sound asleep in his crib (at home)!!!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh Megan! I am so sorry poor little Asher had to go through all of that, but I am glad he is doing better. Hospitals are never fun, especially when your baby is the one that's sick!

Handley Family said...

Poor baby. That's so scarey to have to see your child struggle like that. I'm glad he's doing better.

Denice said...

Oh Meg..thanks for the e-mail and for keeping me posted. PLEASE give him a BIG love for me and make sure you get lots and lots of rest OK! I love you!!

Deborah said...

Poor little guy. I'm glad he is okay now. Hopefully he'll feel more like himself soon. Love you all!

Tamera said...

Poor little man ... he looks tuckered out. I'm glad he's doing better. I know it was awful when Olivia was in the hospital crib and all I could do was sit next to her to comfort her. Hope you are resting when you can so you don't get too run down. Let me know if you need help with anything. Love you guys.