The Smiths

Monday, October 5, 2009

Baby Update

Sooo..... I was at work on Friday and I noticed I was having back to back contractions. I started timing them while on my lunch hour and realized they were only 4 minutes apart. Half way through my lunch hour, they'd moved to 3 minutes apart. I called my dr's office and they told me to come in right away so they could see if it was the real thing. I had a co-worker drive me to the dr's office and they hooked me up to a monitor. When the nurse came back to look at my strip she immediately said, "Wow, you are contracting"! She had the on-call doctor examin me and she said I was 70% effaced and 1 cm dilated. She said it would be best to send me to LDS Hospital so they could monitor me further and see if I continue to dilate.

Cody picked me up from the dr's office and we drove to LDS Hospital. They hooked me up to the monitor and I started having back to back contractions again. The nurse checked me and said I was still only 1 cm dilated but I was 80% effaced. After one hour of monitoring, we saw my contractions had moved to 2.5 minutes apart. The nurse checked me again and said I'd gone from 1 cm dilated to 2 cm dilated in the last hour.

The nurse called the doctor on-call and they decided they wanted to try and stop the labor because I was never given steroid shots for the baby's lungs. I was at 35 weeks on Friday and they want me to make it to 37 weeks (36 weeks minimum). They gave me morphine and said the morphine should stop the contractions. The morphine quickly stopped the contractions but then they slowly started up again and started coming stronger than they had before. They then decided to inject me with terbutaline ( I HATE terbutaline - I had to take it around the clock with Asher). The terbutaline did stop the contractions and I was released a little after 10:00 that night. They sent me home with an emergency terbutaline pill and I carried it with me all weekend.

Last night (Sunday night) I started having back to back contractions again and I took my emergency terbutaline pill. So Cody and I are going to go to the pharmacy tonight to pick up a nice big bottle of the stuff.

TMI ALERT: I'm pretty sure I passed my plug Saturday night so it won't be long before this little baby says hello. She'll hit 36 weeks this Friday so I'm hoping she stays in until then. She's just like her brother - very impatient and ready to party! It will be interesting to see if she comes out talking non-stop for 8+ hours like Asher did. So much to tell Mommy and Daddy!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the update! Just mind your P's and Q's and stay down today like you should!! Even though this new little one is in a hurry to join the gang, we want her to be healthy and strong. We love you and can't wait to see how Asher is with a new little sister!! So much excitement - we are eager to meet her and hold her and give her kisses and hugs!!

Melinda said...

Take it easy! I was thinking of you all weekend! She's going to be such a sweet baby, I can tell already! xoxo

Tamera said...

Try to keep her cookin' lil' mama. Glad they were able to get labor stopped. Take it easy! Love you.

Denice said...

Keep taking those pills! I think October 21st is a wonderful day to have a baby! :) Love you tons!!

Deborah said...

I'm glad you were able to get the contractions under control...I was ready to make a run to the hospital on Friday night because I was so worried about you! Just take it very easy...DON'T WORK TOO MUCH!!! Love you!